Forest Hills is an upper middle class neighborhood in the Borough of Queens, City of NY. Originally, the area was referred to as “Whitepot”. Forest Hills is bounded by 62nd Drive, Thornton Place, and Selfridge Street to the west, Metropolitan Avenue to the south, Union Turnpike to the east, and the Grand Central Parkway to the north. Forest Hills Gardens, with its Tudor-style houses, is bounded by Burns Street to the north, Union Turnpike to the east, Greenway South and Harrow Street to the south, and Tennis Place and Continental Ave to the west
The development of adjacent Forest Park, a park on the southern end of Forest Hills, began in 1895. Starting in 1896, the landscaping firm of Olmsted, Olmsted & Eliot was contracted to provide a plan for the park.:428
In 1906, Brooklyn attorney Cord Meyer bought abutting land made up of six farms (those of Ascan Bakus, Casper Joost-Springsteen, Horatio N. Squire, Abram V. S. Lott, Sarah V. Bolmer, and James Van Siclen) and then renamed the aggregated 600 acres Forest Hills. There is a street named after Ascan Bakus, Ascan Avenue, in Forest Hills today. In 1909, Margaret Sage, who founded the Russell Sage Foundation, bought 142 acres (0.57 km2) of land from the Cord Meyer Development Company. Grosvenor Atterbury, a renowned architect, was given the commission to design Forest Hills Gardens. The neighborhood was planned on the model of the garden communities of England. As a result, there are many Tudor-style homes in Forest Hills, some more sprawling ones located in Forest Hills Gardens while most are located in the Cord-Meyer section (loosely bounded by 68th Avenue on the north; 72nd Road on the south; 108th Street on the west; and Grand Central Parkway on the east). The construction of this area used a prefabricated building technique; each house was built from approximately 170 standardized precast concrete panels, fabricated off-site and positioned by crane. In 1913, the West Side Tennis Club moved from Manhattan to Forest Hills Gardens. The U.S. Open and its predecessor national championships were held there until 1978, making Forest Hills synonymous with tennis for generations.
Forest Hills was once the home of the U.S. Open tennis tournament. The event was held at the West Side Tennis Club before it moved to the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows Park, about 4 miles (6.4 km) away. When the Open was played at the tennis stadium, the tournament was commonly referred to merely as Forest Hills, just as All-England Lawn Tennis Association Championships are referred to simply as Wimbledon. In the 2001 motion picture, The Royal Tenenbaums, Luke Wilson‘s character plays a tennis match at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills. A pivotal scene in Alfred Hitchcock‘s 1951 film Strangers on a Train, in which the main character (played by Farley Granger) is a professional tennis player, features a lengthy championship game at the Club, with distinctive shots of the surrounding community. The Tennis Stadium, which hosted numerous music concerts including The Beatles after the U.S. Open departed for Flushing Meadows, resumed hosting music concerts during the summer of 2013 when the British rock band Mumford & Sons played there to an overflowing crowd. Stadium officials have said they will now host as many as six music or cultural events at the Stadium each season.
Two monuments are erected in Forest Hills Gardens: a tribute to the victims of World War I, the “Great War”; and the mast of the Columbia, the winner of the America’s Cup yacht races in both 1899 and 1901.
Walk Score for Forest Hills
Forest Hills School Data
Forest Hills School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Forest Hills Schools
- The Kew-Forest School
- PK-12, private
- Yeshiva Binat Chaim – Boys
- 10-12, private
- Yeshiva Tifereth Moshe Dov Rev
- PK-3, private
- Yeshiva Sharei Torah
- 7-12, private
- Hebrew Academy of West Queens
- n/a, private
- Bnos Malka Academy
- PK-8, private
- Cheder Yesod Hadas
- n/a, private